Thursday, June 16, 2016

Beyond LadyLike

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior... (Titus 2:3a)

How old do you think these 'older women' were at the time Paul was encouraging them?

Although it is not clear of the age it is assumed, according to an esv commentary, the median age of death for women was 34 years!  Shocking, right?  As I studied our text further I realized that I am the 'older woman' to those younger then me. I have a responsibility to be reverent in behavior, teach, train and lead by example the road God has laid out before me. Recognizing that it is not for my gain but for the teaching of sound doctrine.

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and to train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. (Titus 2:3-5)

If you, like me have past this age, know that you are the 'older woman' and someone is looking up to you. What would they say about your faith life? Do they know how much you honor the Lord by your actions or how you fail to do so? Don't be offended, our failure's are proof that we are by nature human and all humans are sinners in need of a Savior.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people. training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11-14)

My challenge for you this week is to think of a young lady whom your heart goes out to, pray for her and also pray, if it be in God's will, that you might have the opportunity to show her by your example what is 'good'.

When I was a teenager I was blessed with such a woman who loved the Lord and lead by example. She was someone I could trust and talk to. She wasn't afraid to pray with me and tell me the truth about growing up as a teen. Sadly she and her family moved away before I graduated. But God surprisingly brought her back into my life most unexpectedly. Just before we reunited I was off in collage living on my own, making my own choices, doing my own thing all wile going to church and realizing that I couldn't live a double life. I was drifting away from my faith. (Thank the Lord he will never leave us or forsake us!) We had no idea that we would have ended up in the same town, let alone going to the same church. Long story short I needed a place to stay for a few months and she lovingly opened her home to me. I felt a peace that only Jesus could give. Randomly she would leave little words of encouragement or scripture to remind me not to be of this world but to remember who Christ made me to be. How he loved me and had a plan for my life.

I hope you have had the blessing of being mentored in your life. If you haven't, I encourage you to be a mentor to the young lady your thinking about right now.

3 simple steps on mentor beyond ladylike

   1. Pray for her

   2. Listen to her

   3. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have. (1 Peter 3:15)


Blessings to you Older Women of Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment