Wednesday, June 8, 2016

'Who do you say that I AM?'

The other day my father sang for me this song, 'Who do you say that I AM', by Andrew Culverwell.


Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. (Matthew 16:16-17) Read Matthew 16:13-20 and look up this old song. You will be blessed.

Wow, there sure is power when the written Word of God is turned into music!

Years ago before I started helping with our song selection at church I really hadn't paid to much attention to the connection between the song and the scripture readings each Sunday.  I was just waiting and hoping that the song I liked the best would be played. I still have my favorites, but when a song comes along that I just don't know that well or I am having a hard time singing with everyone ells, I just focus on the words and trust that His Word is being delivered to me.

Next Sunday, when you hear a song that your just not too excited about, trust that there is a purpose for that song and keep praising Him!

I found this quote in my Grandmothers old Hymnal. I think it goes very well with this post.

Next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise. The gift of language combined with the gift of song was given to man that he should proclaim the Word of God through music. (Martin Luther)

1 comment:

  1. PS I should really get my dad to sing it again and record it for you all. Just my opinion, but he sings it much better cappella then anyone I've heard sing it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete