Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 1 'Emptiness'

Day 1     David’s Dry and Weary Time                                                                                       Read, Psalm 63 and  2 Samuel 15

·         What is God’s message to you? (God can fill us with His mercy and love.)

·         Where am I now? Have you experienced physical thirst? Can you describe a dryness in your life, past or present?

·         David not only found himself in a dry and wary desert but also in a dry and weary emptiness in his life.   read,   2 Samuel 15:13-17, 23-30

·         How does David describe his longing for God?

·         Why do you think even Christians wander into the dry and weary wilderness?

·          How do you respond to the dry and weary times?

·         What scripture can you remember about God in your ‘desert time’?   read, Hebrews 6:19

As children of God, we use Psalms 63 to express our own emptiness to God honestly and openly.
We praise God for all He has done and all that He will do, being confident that He does care for us and will fill us with His Love.
Remember this is your time with Jesus. Begin with Prayer, read His Word, Listen and let the Holy Spirit guide you through these lessons. 
If all you get done this first day is read the scripture readings, Wonderful!  If you are blessed by this lesson you are welcome to share your answers and any other scripture verses you would like to share.
We are here to encourage and pray for each other.

2 comments:

  1. Recently I fasted for health reasons. I expected it to be a little hard. What I didn't expect was how I would feel spiritually. When I was hungry and could only find comfort in water (because I couldn't have coffee either), I remembered learning about how the Bible tells us to Fast in times when we need guidance from the Lord. As I cried out to God for the situations in my life and for those I pray for, God heard me and He blessed me with His peace. I really wasn't expecting that but what I did have confidence in was His Word. The living Word, Jesus, always there for me and never changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read all of 2 Samuel 15 to get a better understanding of what David was going through.
    I believe we could spend a lot more time in these verses, but what I read is that David not only took himself into this dry and weary place but he also took his family and those close to him.
    I believe that sometimes, maybe unconsciously, we wander away from His Word or time in prayer and we unexpectedly feel dry. We may ask ourselves, how did this happen? I'm a Christian, surley God is with me? He tells us not only to be hears of the Word but doers. And we must remember that this world is not our home. (Read John 15:19). Sometimes we allow the world to step in little by little pushing aside what matters most.

    In my dry and weary times in life I feel ashamed because those are the times I have not put God first. But thanks be to God, I can open my Bible and I am immediately filled with the His love. His spirit remains, his Word is truth, I dust myself off and move forward trusting in His promises.

    In 'desert times' I can remember, Matthew 5:13-16
    v16...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
    John 15:19b ...you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
    God has a reason and a purpose for us all because he has chosen us. Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete